Get me outta here!

9.04.2019

Thrifty Ways To Save Money On a Frugal Budget

I heard it over and over again. That song. That song that is always playing on the radio in December called “Have a Holly Jolly Christmas.” And as I listened to the lyrics of the song and pondered that thought for a moment, I wondered… what if I could be “jolly” everyday throughout the year instead of just at Christmastime. What is jolly, anyway? Jolly means “joyous,” “happy” and “cheerful.” Yes, I’m all in! I want to be jolly; yesterday, today, tomorrow, and everyday.

You see, I used to think that my happiness was something that I had to earn by working hard to achieve success in my career, and earning a paycheck so that I could keep buying more and more stuff (such as a new house, a new automobile, new expensive clothes and shoes, etc.). But what I have learned through wisdom is that my happiness is my choice and not something I have to earn. I can choose to be happy and cheerful always, no matter what my circumstances are. I can choose to be happy driving my old car that is debt free and still works efficiently instead of going into debt to buy a new car. I can choose to be happy buying a slightly used pair of designer shoes from the thrift store instead of spending a lot of money on a brand new pair of designer shoes from a high-end department store. And I can choose to be happy visiting the local state park at the beach and seeing the beautiful palm trees swaying in the wind and the ocean waves breaking on the white sandy seashore instead of spending a lot of money to travel to a remote tropical island to vacation at some famous beach resort.
And so, this year, I am in the pursuit of jolly (joy, happiness and cheerfulness) and spending quality time with my family, who brings me the greatest joy, happiness and cheer.

5 Ways to Be Cheerful And Save Money While on A Frugal Budget

1. Plant a Flower Garden Using Seeds and/or Bulbs.
It’s amazing how pretty flowers always seem to cheer me up. Planting a flower garden using seeds or bulbs is much cheaper than buying the plants. Various types of seedlings and bulbs will grow into plants with beautiful flowers that bloom throughout the spring, summer and fall.
 
2. Try a New Hobby.
It can be a cheerful experience learning something new. And it doesn’t have to cost a fortune to start a new hobby. Painting, drawing, scrapbooking, do it yourself projects, sewing, crocheting, and quilting, just to name a few, can be done while on a frugal budget. Many craft stores have weekly coupons and sales page ad’s on arts and crafts supplies, and some craft stores even offer free or low cost classes on how to create arts and crafts projects.
3. Read an Inspirational Book.
A cheerful reader can gain helpful knowledge and be inspired.
Take a stroll through your local bookstore(s) and browse all of the inspirational books available. You may even find a great inspirational book on the clearance shelf for 50-75% off of the retail price.
Thrift stores usually also have inspirational books for sale for a dollar or less that have been donated. Some thrift stores even have a sale of “5 books for a dollar” on certain days of the week.
You can also check-out an inspirational book for “free” at your local public library.
4. Shop Thrifty.
There are so many bargains to be found at thrift stores, consignment shops, upscale resale stores, and flea markets. These are just a few of the things that you can find at thrift stores:
  • Name Brand Clothes
  • Name Brand Shoes
  • Name Brand Handbags
  • Collectable Dishes
  • Furniture
  • Lamps
  • Picture Frames
  • Formal Dresses
  • Formal Suits
5. Plan a Family Weekend Staycation and “Tour Your  Town/County.”
It is suprising to discover how many places there are to visit and explore right in your own town and county for the whole family to enjoy. There are many places that are free or that are very inexpensive. These are a few of the places that you may be able to visit in your area:
  • Visit the state park at the beach and discover the beauty of the seashore, seashells, palm trees, and the sand dunes.
  • Visit a nature park and have a picnic, or go camping, or bring your bicycles and enjoy a bike ride through the bike trails.
  • Visit a museum and learn about historical events and see the artifacts that are displayed.
  • Visit an Arts and Crafts Festival.
  • Visit Seasonal Festivals in the Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter.
  • Visit a Farm or a Zoo.
  • Visit the “Welcome Center” and get a map and local calendar of events and discover all of the indoor and outdoor activities happening in your town and county.
These are 5 thrifty ways that I have saved money while living cheerfully on a frugal budget. Do you have any frugal budget-thrifty money saving ideas that you would like to share? If so, please leave a comment below. I enjoy learning about new ways to save money.

0 Comment:

Post a Comment